Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Brilliant Advice



In the iconic motion picture, The Godfather, Don Vito Corleone is a respected, older, wiser patriarch of his family. Granted, it's a ruthless, organized crime family, but you get the point. He's a father who feels responsible for his family, and in his line of work, he doesn't survive unless he's shrewd and insightful. Don Coreleone has some great advice to give. "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man." Or, "Keep your friends close, but keep your enemies closer." Brilliant advice. Short and direct.
     Years ago, I was working for a company, but I let it be known that I was itching to leave and start my own company. One day, as I was contemplating my exit strategy, a man stopped me in the hall. He was a wiser, older man who was prone to saying too much. I braced myself. I didn't want to hear it. I was looking for some Don Vito Corleone advice, and I knew I wasn't going to hear it from him. He just sighed and said, "If you're going to do it, do it now. Waiting for later is pointless." Then he walked away. Best advice I ever got. Short and direct. And he wasn't even Sicilian.


    

No comments:

Post a Comment