Thursday, February 10, 2011

My Father


This is a photo of my Father in 1951. He's a young man here. I'm reminded when I look at this photo that there was a time when men behaved like men. The last generation of men not spoiled by consumerism or elitism. He was a traditional man who was blue-collar and uncomplicated. His name was Francis, but everybody called him Frank.
     Just another World War II vet who was good, honest and hard-working. My Father never spoke ill of anyone. In fact, he was a quiet man, but when he said something people listened. A jack-of-all-trades, he knew how to do things. His favorite belt was a toolbelt. A typical Saturday, he could be found tuning up the Chrysler, unclogging the sink, repairing the fence, planting a garden or grilling a steak.
     My Father believed that the man you are...is the man your son will become. I hope I haven't disappointed him...

1 comment:

  1. I understand he had a great affinity for artists too..I'm sure he must be very proud!

    ReplyDelete